Monday, May 24, 2010

ILL K Entry 45 "I OWN PINOY HIPHOP'S BALANCE"

JONAN

Jonan Aguilar with an ethnic rain maker on stage at Defense



Back in Singapore. You already know. Yes, I came home for a quick 4 days to direct the LDP DEFENSE Concert and round up my boys for what could be undeniably the start of Turbulence's bid for greatness. Did I accomplish everything I set out to do? No. Did I do a great job of what I had on hand? I suppose.

The biggest compliment I got from this trip was given to me by Loonie, after his spoken word set in remembrance of Kiko Kalyo ng Kalentong. He told me "Bong, thank you for giving this show its much needed guidance." At that point, I felt like owning up to keeping the balance of things back home. The past few weeks, maybe past 2 months have been an eye opener for the Hiphop Awards organizers, as we put to the light the imbalance they have caused to shit on the integrity of the awards. Characters influence on the scene have been tested and well, the tail end of an era of being dishonest to the community happened via Hiphopalooza.

After May 15, I had vowed to not take shots at the awards anymore, I don't want to give them the much needed energy they might need to recover and build on it for next year. At this point, its me playing ball with my team and keeping it moving. It's also good to sight that Konektado x Flip Top and DEFENSE all happened at the same week to ensure hiphop in Pinas is given something positive amidst all the negativity presented of uprooting some poisons.

It was my first time to direct a concert with this scope. Sure, we've done The Community show with much ease -- but this one was all my fault, I wanted a bigger playground. And although, it lacked several days of preparation due to me flying in only a day before the event - I think we pulled it off.

The show started with Quest singing the national anthem, OBS doing Soundcheck -- Peoples Future giving the first boom bap of the night, and then all panic breaks loose as Mike Swift comes in late, didn't attend his soundcheck and starts his show after the first song via an acapella. Yes, Mike came thru with the first shocker of the night, mentioning PKSO and Kyles name through out his set. Nathan J the set the mood by asking the audience to put they peace signs up in the air! The second shocker of the night came in the set of Dcoy - bringing out Madd Poets super producer Low Key Da Boywonder and bringing the house down. At this point, I was already warming up, getting my director game up. By the time Blaze N Kane did "Fly Away" I was in control of the show -- giving Kane the spotlight the song needed during the last part of his verse and then opened the lights back again to a singing Mista Blaze and Pow Chavez engaging the people's emotion and cheers.

Stick Figgas then blessed the stage -- Ron Thug and Champ, then Jazze's set which pulled out a hiphop scene veteran Mary to the stage. PKSO then made sure to keep things moving via an encore with Sam Rhansum, Dash, Ron Thug -- that displayed a versatile and energetic stage show! The third shocker of the night would be Jonan Aguilar and the Anak Band. I saw Freddie Aguilar at the back stage and it is an honor to have him watch a hiphop show -- and Jonan did his thing, ethnic percussion, sax playing, and accompanied by this opera belting soprano humming at the back of songs. It was pretty moving -- and at this point the audience are fully aware of the diversity of this show and the significance of always going back to your roots no matter how much hiphop alters your preference.

Enter AMP -- well my boy Aero claims to have been distracted and forgot his lyrics which he swear he memorized. Split second decision and asked to do over the song half way through his verse! Hahahaha, good times yo. Only means the show is meant to be enjoyed and not taken seriously. Shoutouts to CB Automatic for having AMP's back! The organizer then pulled of a surprise on the main acts as she awarded LDP a Novel Award for helping her charity distribute relief goods for the Philippines 2009 typhoon Ondoy's victims. After which, the organizer introduces The All Stars set leading to O.N.E.'s set -- which we were all witnesses to the new members rockin hard and Ken Jhons' nice shorts! Nimbus and Quest tagged team the last set before the main acts with renditions of So Wonderful and Back To Love, respectively.

Enter LDP, well -- thats another entry and another day. Props to Joint and LDP! Fantastic show all in all if you ask me. Never before seen, a concert with so much talent and so much direction. Showing hiphop has grown. Today, amidst all this talk surrounding sour lines going back forth between Mike Swift, Don Bigas and Low Key -- I give you this short glimpse as to what happened that night I was dressed in basketball shorts, an Jordan shirt from 7AM 'til 4AM the following day. Cheers.


PINAS HIPHOP POWER 30 COMING OUT THIS JUNE!


NOTES: It's always a great feeling when you are part of the show that gives DATU some light on stage. Knowing he is very much comfortable in the background and him embracing the task performing with LDP is pretty big for me as a DATU fan. Seeing close friends is always something great, it only sucked that I was up another floor while everyone was enjoying the show. Shoutouts to A.N.E. and Danee for still coming through despite your mourning. To my siblings who stayed throughout the show, I love y'all. Kath Chan for providing me this opportunity to roc Pinas again despite my absence in the scene. Sarah Meier and Banjo for being solid fans of this shit all the way through, I will never fail you.



No comments: