Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2010 SOULFIESTA Pinas Hiphop Power Rankings #24

GRAVER

GRAVER/KST PHILIPPINES OWNS MANILA'S WALLS


NUMBER 24: GRAVER/KST PHILIPPINES - I met Graver a couple of years back when he didn't reside in the Philippines. SBA CRU, Philippines first graffiti team, brought him over my spot to bomb a big ass defunct factory wall. At that time, he was 15 still debating whether to go to college in Pinas or not -- by the time the moon came up, he put down the most eye popping tag on that wall, which now is used as a wall by some of the people who decided to build a house next to that wall. A year later, I not only hear he's around but when I drive by roads around Manila -- I see his throw ups, it got him in trouble at times too I heard. I remember one time riding the train to a meeting -- passing by cars above the rails, I see tags by him across EDSA. It made me feel like a takeover, unseen by many, was happening. For me, and forgive my ignorance -- but he single handedly inspired a new generation of street artists. His is easily the most recognizable body of work we've come across within the past few years. And these dudes don't necessarily listen to hiphop - OPM hiphop at that but they are feeding the culture in ways they're palettes can fuse. Ten years from now, with enough documentation -- I tell you, you are already witnessing a legend bomb Manila's walls and beyond. Word to your momma.


G1

G2




VIEW KST PHILIPPINES TUMBLR PAGE HERE.


No comments: