Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DEAR RADIO x FRANCIS M

FM & ANJEE



Francis Magalona - Sinong Magsasabi


I recently unearthed a Francis Magalona letter, tucked into the single he was promoting in anticipation for his final album F-WORD. When you buy 2 FMCC shirts, you get the cd for free - a limited edition CD. I worked with Mr. Magalona on the first 2 singles, and after the first one - he had asked how to make it interesting for the fan. I told him to add a letter to maybe give the audience a deeper understanding behind the music, behind the making and the current thought process of a Francis M. This letter dated December 1 2008 - is an open reminder to the radio industry and how Francis Magalona viewed the system despite being one of the marquee acts in this land.



Greetings!

Welcome to the new style of music sharing that I have devised for the sole purpose of fighting a system that is fraudulent, inaccurate and fragile.

Many years have passed since my first recording contract back in 1987, and now 21 years to that day, the system of making music is still pretty much the same. You record, you make a product, big company pays to publish and release your product, and they pay radio management to play your product. It is up to the radio djs (and their respective station managers) to decide what will be a “hit” and what to put in the bench. Whether it becomes a hit or not, your product ends in the record bars, sales are slow because your song has been copied and is now downloadable on a program that connects to the internet.

It is a losing war my friends. I released my first single “Sino Magsasabi” and I tried to get it played on the radio stations and only a couple of times has it been played on a station or two, in which the djs are my friends.

I don’t care if radio plays me or not. What I care about is that this product gets in your hands, and you, my friend get to listen to it. And enjoy it.

I give these things for free, in tandem with a cross marketing scheme to sell my t-shirts as well. Buy 2 shirts, you get these limited, 2500 only, serially numbered discs. There will be 8 singles, and if you put the cds together you get an image which many of you will treasure. It is a self portrait. It is my gift to you.

These mp3 singles that you have are very innovative in a way as they have music, pictures and documents inside them for you to browse. Look inside each cd and you might find some easter egg loaded with goodies like remixes, bonus tracks, audio files, video files and even some photography and artwork of mine.

When these 8 singles are complete, I shall release a box-set cd special, and the files will be in full audio files and not mp3s anymore for a fuller experience. It will come with a commemorative poster and maybe, even a shirt. Good luck my friend.

Once again thank you for being there for me since my start in the business. I shall never forget your support, and that is why I decided to go against the system and get my music to you. I know this ingenuity of mine will be a template for others to follow. Enjoy this ride, it’s gonna be quite a trip.

Mabuhay!

Francis M.






NOTE: I dont know if FMCC was ever able to fully service this product because of his untimely death. But I would like to see the portrait with someone someday.




2 comments:

Pia M said...

Thanks for paying homage to FrancisM by way of blogging the liner he wrote to accompany the sale of his shirts x CD. My family truly appreciates it.
Yes, that was the plan. To "give away" his music since he was disgusted with the way the recording/music industry here was run.
You see, he still owed BMG (or whatever their name was at the time; can't really say because labels kept changing hands every so often) one last album, but he wasn't comfortable with the idea of putting it in their hands anymore because all artistry was lost with them in the picture.
He explains all that in his note.
In reply to your query, yes, we actually have the rest of the 8 singles--and maybe more--which were supposed to be included in the album In Love and War, but I decided releasing all his remaining songs in one blow would not help in keeping his legacy alive.
I will go on and release these singles, still one at a time, with a plan more fit for my King.
Love,
Pia

P>S> Anj? Is this you writing? Just want you to know Myla's in town and she has one cut FM recorded while in the US :)

SOULFIESTA said...

Mrs. Magalona, I am amazed on how you found this blog. Thank you for writing back. I was in talks with your late husband right before he was diagnosed and he had lovely plans! I'm sure you're doing all the best you can to make sure his legacy isnt tainted and that the music remains.

I'm not sure if you already downloaded that article I wrote on him called "DEATH OF A KING", the link can be found on the left side of the blog with his picture on it. Me and your late husband was poised to work on a picture book and his supposedly all hiphop beats super last album. If you need anything Pia, just ask.

Again, thank you for replying to a blog post. It wasn't made to get your attention - but your reply is truly appreciated.

If you have exclusives you want to put out - I would love to work with you in having reach more people.

Best regards,

BONG ANDRES