Saturday, October 29, 2011

ILL K Entry 134 "SECRET WARS"





The Last Emperor - Secret Wars (Part I)



It's amazing to know that some of the mcs nowadays never listened to this shit. This is a classic song that has some vivid imagery if you really like your 90's hiphop. The Last Emperor is still one of my favorites - this joint made Dr. Dre sign him into Aftermath, but just like Rakim signing to the A - Dre didn't know how to push this lyrical act to greatness.

Today, and its gonna be a long weekend for everyone - here's a 5 minute classic where TLE pushes the idea to the pen - Marvel characters up against your favorite hiphop MCS. And not just that, TLE switches his voice and cadence to match the characters - check the Common, Das Efx and Busta Rhymes - unheard of. Storm vs Lauryn Hill? Reggie Noble vs Hulk? Method Man vs Wolverine? And to cap it off, Peter Parker vs. Nasir Jones.

And everybody who knows me knows I'm a comic book head, and in the 90's Jim Lee was my hero. So hearing this song just made me love hiphop more. It showed me how intricate hiphop can be and how far hiphop can reach. That hiphop is whatever it is an MC pushes his pen to, no borders. Its a crazy record, trust me.


No comments: