Wednesday, November 24, 2010

G.R.A.E. ALBUM REVIEW BY VICKY HERRERA

Photobucket

VICKY HERRERA REVIEWS G.R.A.E.



[G.R.A.E]

As Producer Chrizo hands me the very first copy of his joint album with MC Marquiss "G.R.A.E. [which stands for the Greatest Rap Album Ever], he takes a long stare at the disk and then lets go. That's a metaphor right there. After years of putting all his efforts together, he's finally ready to share it to the world. In a way, it's like I will be meeting Chrizo and Marquiss for the first time all over again.

A few conversations with Chrizo on why its titled G.R.A.E is explained: If you’re going to aim to produce an album, aim high. It's their ambition to have the greatest rap album ever, so lets cut to the chase by producing the greatest rap album ever shall we?

As I walked away, I first started to think, how can I review this carefully put together piece of work? Do I need to be an expert in the Manila hip-hop community? Do I need to be knowledgeable on the history of Turbulence Productions? We know that for the longest time this label that has pumped out blood, sweat and tears to get this lifted off the ground. So here's how it's going to be, I'm going to approach the task as honestly as I can: as a fan of music. And not just any music, I am a fan who sincerely supports the local hip-hop scene. So I clear my mind and hit play. I've listened to the album straight from its first song to last song and vice versa. Some day's I've selfishly skipped through tracks I'm feeling, on other days I've put my favorites on repeat. There are some songs I've judged at first beat, while others grew on me the more I paid attention to each message.

Let's now take a look at each track to show you what I mean.


GRAE COVER

Marquiss and Chrizo presents G.R.A.E (Turbulence 2010)


Album Review

1) As the first track to kick off G.R.A.E, "Behind the Scenes" gives us a glimpse of how the Chrizo - Marquiss magic happens. Like all creative collabs they toss ideas back and forth, go through technical mess-ups, and later on find moments of inspiration. What we see here is how natural their creativity hits them. This is also the first and last time we will be hearing Chrizo's voice on the album. For the rest of the tracks, we only feel his presence behind the beats and through shout outs.

2) The first official song really is "Prophet of Rage." In an instant you know these boys mean business. I'm bopping my head to the beat already and listening intently to what Marquiss has to say. I feel the hunger rising behind the song - hunger in the sense of how much these boys want to do what they love doing - making music.

3) Slightly related to the role of being a prophet, "MC" follows next. It asks the question we all wanted to ask: What does an MC stand for anyway? It's a question they throw not only to themselves but to their fellow MCs as well. And the answer comes as the songs plays out. (A: someone speaking from the heart, confident in their message, pushing the boundaries)

4) The "Soul of a Rebel" tells the story of a young kid growing up with rules, but always having the urge to break ‘em. He’s just got a mind of his own, and it’s been that way ever since. (I’m all for that.) Quest guests on this track, and he always provides a lot of depth with his voice. In this case, the fighter’s spirit comes alive when he hits the chorus.

5) And like all cats in the game, we try to think that money ain’t a thang. "If I was a Rich Man" featuring Aero provides the thoughts of what they would really want to do if we were as rich as Henry Sy. Yes, money is the dream, but for these MC's money is also a tool. The possibilities for what they could use it for are endless. However, at a certain point, I wish the chorus could have been written tighter because the rest of the verses were hot.

6) "Days of Sodom" just happens to be the fifth track with an underlying theme of hustling in a row. But that doesn’t make it any less important though. It gives a dark and frustrating outlook on the wrongs in the world. It’s not something we all want to look at or admit, but Marquis calls it out because he genuinely cares. I’m very impressed with how he delivers this.

7) And just when I thought I'd hear a similar hustler song, "Self-Righteous" feat. Ill-J knocks me over with a pleasant surprise. It's the song you want to send to every pretentious motherf*cker who acted like his sh*t don't stink.




FORGET ABOUT IT (MUSIC VIDEO)



8) "Forget About It" blew me away. With legends Mastaplann and SVC on this track, I was so psyched for this song to play. Although I wasn't around really to witness the legacy of Mastaplann and SVC at their time, I've had enough exposure (and numerous stories from hip-hop fans) to know their influence. The chorus is catchy. Listen to what the legends have to say because they still have so much to contribute. Not only is it a meeting of the past and present players, it's perhaps a passing of the torch song.

9) Slowing it down with "After Hours" Marquiss places the listener into another role of a tourist who he is introducing to the real Manila; "when the sun goes down." It's the real, gritty, up close and personal version of what's happening in the streets. I'm nodding in the imagery he describes: ranging from stray cats to corrupt mayors to the pollution. It's truth. Marquiss ends it with a “spark” of hope and needed willpower to make it through.

10) "The Payback" feat Hotnixx jumps off on a lighter note. The energy is more victorious. It’s sort of like the story of the hustler who came, conquered, and is popping bottles on the side.

11) "Gray" feat Forensic Science, Hotnixx, PhD, and Black immediately grabs my attention. The verses are showing us that not everything in life is black and white. But life is like that. Maybe we aren’t supposed to be completely sure of what to do and why things happen. Life is filled with tough choices and unexplained events sometimes. Props to the MCs who lay it down exactly how they see it.


BREAKBREAD

CHECK OUT WWW.HASANSALAAMMUSIC.COM


12) "Break Bread" has the production quality that grabs your ear and keeps it interested. Featuring MC’s Hasan Salaam and Verse 1, this is a strong song on the album. With a religious reference to the Last Supper, the messages of social awareness, peace, and oneness remind me of music's other purpose from expression and entertainment. It's also there to educate and to communicate real issues. This is why I love hip-hop.

13) "Paraiso" is obviously something I had to tune up and pay careful attention to. It is a full track in our Tagalog language with a flow so fast and eloquent with guest MC’s Labo, God's Will and Loonie also on the track. Marquiss really shows diversity as an MC in both English and Tagalog. Chrizo keeps the beat steady which allows the listener to really pay attention to the message. The overall energy of this track is so forceful and strong, with such a confident attitude resonating from every rapper. I would gladly send this track to a friend in another country and say “Look at what the MCs from my home are up to.”

14) As "Criminal Conversations" begins with a Godfather persona giving orders, I wonder if this is a metaphor for how Turbulence crew sees themselves - a mafia family. And in the event of a weak link, just send Marquiss and guest MC Nimbus9 to take care of it. That’s how the song plays out. These two MC’s jump into character so well but they still keep their style fresh. I feel like I'm that kid sitting down, wide-eyed and watching two actors tell me a story. There you go: MC acting if you would say.

15) "Deathbed Confessions" is a song of Marquiss in the future. Everything done right and wrong in life is reflected on, but at the end everything is all good. The enthralling voice of Abby Asistio provides the perfect soul to a track that tries to wrap up a life well-lived, and Chrizo definitely knows how to make a soundtrack for need to reminisce.

Beautiful Woman



"What happened to that perpetual glow?/ Believed in love but now she's skeptical, though/"



16) With "Beautiful Woman", both Chrizo and Marquiss are making me fall in love with them through music. Yes, I know this song is about Marquiss’s mother. But any song that praises a woman makes me smile. They reveal a softer side to them as opposed to the more conscious and serious versions prior. I can only wonder why we haven't heard more songs like this? [In other words, Yo boys why can't you write love songs like this for me?? Just kiddin] The theme of love is so inspirational that can be widely explored in so many different ways. I am curious to see how these artists will express the different facets of this theme in the future.

17) Lastly, "You Don't Know" is the song that brings the album full circle. We've all been down the path of having to deal with haters telling us what we can and cannot do. Perhaps this is what the underground hip-hop scene can throw to the music industry who think they know better than them. As Marquiss would say “Can you believe that man? They just don't know me".

Verdict:

G.R.A.E is a mixture of the past and late present of both Chrizo and Marquiss. It's a recorded history of their growth and shows the creative development of these artists as rapper and producer. Although some songs are strong hits (my top loves would be Prophet of Rage, MC, Soul of a Rebel, Forget About It, Break Bread, Paraiso, Criminal Conversations, Beautiful Woman, Deathbed Confessions) others can be nodded upon and credited to the learning curve.Chrizo consistently delivers as a producer. Well- informed on his music samples and beats, he stays true to his chill style. There are glimpses of some beats where he can completely let go of restraint and take the energy to a whole other level. That is something I would be excited to hear. Marquiss' rises, sometimes falls, but definitely rises again in this journey. That’s natural for MCs experience over the years. And like all signs of growth, we see how he learns and improves in delivery and content. What is beautiful about this album as well is although Marquiss and Chrizo celebrate their first album together, they also bring together their contemporary MCs to share the stage. Offering their first album to the hip-hop scene as a humble collaboration of everyone’s efforts.

It is clear that both artists in have some way along the journey found their distinct style in the local hip-hop community, but we know the potential for growth. With the talent and creativity of these artists (both individually and collectively), there are innumerable possibilities for greater tracks in the future.

I wouldn’t want to call it the Greatest Rap Album Ever. Only because when I hear “Ever” I feel like its “Final”, when I know this is just the start of many great albums to come. So Chrizo and Marquiss, I’m looking forward to the next Greatest Rap Album to come. Now don't let us wait too long.




FOLLOW VICKY HERRERA ON TWEETER AND HER TUMBLR PAGE.





No comments: