Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MUSIC IS LIFE: LAIDBACK


Photobucket



Laidback - Bring Back The 90's (Soulfiesta Shoutout) (Produced by Laidback)

I met Laidback thru Hotnixx, via Myspace. Laidback guested Nixx in a track called "Move To The Beat (Remix)" which appeared on MC Mighty's CD released late last year in some parts of Europe. RESPECT. Anybody making beats and reaching out to Filipinos for a feature is definitely something that catches me in spirit. Since then, Laidback has visited the Philippines for both pleasure and business. Laidback also produced the Shake and Hotnixx "Make It Loud" track, in which the video was made during one of Laidbacks trips to the Philippines. Known for his banging beats and laid back demeanor, we catch up with Laidback ,who is now back in Europe about his music, Manila, making beats, Dr. Dre and more!

SF: First off, thank you for accomodating our request man. I know you're busy with both work and music. Now, as a fan of hiphop music, what made you want to produce beats?

LAIDBACK: I always tried to reproduce melodies of different songs I hear on the radio when I was a kid but it was not serious. I always knew I wanted to do my own creations when I was a teenager also, but money was short, it's only when I got my first serious job at 21 that I could afford to have a laptop and mess around with a couple of gears but once again it was not really serious. Its only 2 years later when I moved out of my country to try to get better cash abroad that I started to take my beats to the next level. It came actually naturally cause I knew no one in the new country I was staying in so it was the only thing I was doing during my free time.

You've seen both the underground scene in France and Manila, what do you think of Manila's hiphop scene?

I actually prefer Manila's underground scene cause people fight more and don't complain. You know the problem in Europe and the USA is people complain about this or this issue but they don't know how much people in Asia or in the Philippines struggle even more to put their music out. The only thing I'm a sad about is contrary to my country the majors in the Philippines don't care too much about Pinoy Hip hop or don't give acts space to express themselves in media or even being signed (with exception for some few acts of course).In France, there is a real market and hundreds of rappers get chances to get heard and majors give them a real budget for their projects, the selection is hard of course but everything is possible for everyone.

My opinion is a little bit wild cause I'm not Filipino and I'm no one to judge the market in the Philippines but for I feel like there is a certain issue there. I think it's time for the majors to start to turn a page in the music history, give chances to the young generation, I mean come on! except our parents and grand parents who want to listen OPM songs or revivals today, same mellow dramas or love songs that haunt industry for 15- 20 years? Pinoys are really creative and talented persons, I don't know why the new R&B singers have to do revivals to get credibility. Make a survey in the street with all the youngsters from 10 to 30 years old, they will tell you they want original tunes, stuff they can dance or vibe to. Pinoy hip hop is tight and so diversified and you have the advantage to flip between Tagalog or English which sounds unique. I hope A&Rs will hear and see soon the huge talent there is in Filipino Hip hop.

That's nice to hear from you man, we're thankful. By the way, what are you busy with right now? Projects lined up to be released?

Right now I'm renewing my beats portfolio to sell and also to work on different collabs. I was more of a West Coast sounding beatmaker before, I like the heavy leads and bass, I also play Talkbox (Vocoder) like Roger Troutman in California Love for example. Now since 2008, I tried to open myself more, I now compose R&B, dancehall, dirty south, east coast kind of beats also. I'm currently working on MC Mighty's second album following his debut album that I fully produced last year. He 's a crazy talented dancehall artist from Zimbabwe, big up to my man. There is also my man Shake from Paris of course we'll have couple of new things also. I also work with an Irish R&B artist Jennifer Hurley on some of her new songs. In Philippines, I work with a team you probably know B-Roc hehe: Turbulence. I have a couple of interesting stuffs comin' in the way with Hotnixx, Nimbus 9, and more. R&B wise in P.I., I'm producing some new materials for an up and comin girl band called Posh. Watch out for some hot songs haha. I also started to produce my own tracks as I sing as well.

Laidback produced the debut CD of MC Mighty which features the track "Move To The Beat (Remix)" which features Hotnixx!

If people in the Philippines could be educated about the hiphop scene in France or Europe, who do you suggest we listen to?

I think my answer will seem very bad as I myself listen to more American, Pinoy or Jamaican stuffs than European acts. I dont really like the beats from Europe, actually it's not too catchy to me. But one thing is sure, French rappers have some crazy lyrics that would bring back Nas or Jay Z to school !!! Im not joking right here my mother tongue is so complex with tight metaphors, symbollisms, allegories and syntaxes that it makes it unique. If you try to translate French rhymes into English it loses all meaning and sense. I think one of the best albums you can buy in France is called "L'ecole du micro d'argent" from the group IAM, it's one of the classics.

Laidback appears in the last few minutes of "Booked Me A Flight"

If you were to produce or work with one of your idols, who would you want to produce?

I would produce Daz Dillinger or DJ Quik who are producers themselves also haha. Also I would love to produce Snoop I would make a banging funky beat !!! I love Warren G. also and Nate Dogg. Then finally I would produce a full dogg pound album actually, I would bring it back to the 90's like the album Dogg Food !!! This is for my classic favorites. Nowadays I would like to produce for T Pain or Akon.

There is a hint of Dr. Dre in most of your beats, what are the your top 3 favorite Dr. Dre beats?

Nice question !!!Okay; 1 - Fuck With Dre Day; 2 - Nothing But A G Thang and; 3 - California Love. The classics !!!

What advice could you impart to people aspiring to be producers?

Don't stop it!!! Whatever happens. Also dont waste your time to know which gears to choose to produce on. The software world has taken over now. Dont waste your money, we are all struggling to earn cash. I read in a magazine "dont spend money in music if music dont give you money back". Deal with that. My advice is: Use Reason 4 to compose, you have all you need inside, get a laptop or desktop and a master midi keyboard, good speakers to monitor and also a soundcard. If you want to record your vocals get Cubase or Pro tools. That's it, with that package you have it all. If your short on money, just get a laptop and Reason 4 and you can make good beats already!!! Personally I wasted cash trying different hardwares from hardwares synths to digital mixers etc. etc. to finally come back to softwares which are easier and I get a quicker work flow using them for equal quality.

Whats your favorite Filipino dish when you were in Manila?

I like a lot of different dishes, the classics like adobo, caldereta, menudo, but what I really love is the seafood from P.I., so fresh and yummy !!!! Cook em as you wish butter, barbeque or garlic I will eat them all haha !!!

If you could have a verse from either Tupac or Biggie, who would you want to put on your beat?

I would put Tupac cause the way he delivers words would match my beats better.

How do you make your beats? Whats the creative process behind it?

It depends, I never work the same way. But mainly what I do is create a basic loop with all the main instruments on it that I give to the artist. Once I get the voices I then enhance the beat, make more variations, change some drums, add more melodies and improve the whole thing. I really work around the voices. But when I compose my loops, I start first with the drums, then the main melody, then bass and then the adds on. There is no real method I really work on feelings, with my man Mighty for example, he has a gift to do vocals with no beat, meaning he creates a harmony with different voices with no help of a beat. It happens that I get his voice first then create the beat from scratch around his voice, mad huh? I also dont sample, I play it all.

Why is making music important to you?

I remember what Warren G said : Rhythm is life and life is Rhythm, as simple as that.

Thank you again bro for your time today. It's always a pleasure hearing another producer's point of view. And thank you for supporting Filipino music as a whole. It means we're on the right track. Goodluck with your projects and I can't wait to see the video we shot! Salamat!

Thanks for your time man !!! Big up to you and all your team you all work hard and you deserve success in your venture. It's a long and crazy journey but we'll all make it if we continue to push our limits!!! I wish more projects with pinoy acts who have a very good mentality in general and always humble, this is a characteristic I like there in Pinas. Also the warm welcoming, but no need to develop that cause its legendary, pinoys are famous for that haha !!! Big up to my brother Anesu a.k.a. MC Mighty, Shake the giant from Senegal (Konvict lol) and France, Hotnixx (thanks for all the collabos man!!!), Chrizo (one of the finest Pinoy Beatmaker), Nimbus, AMP all the Turbulence team. Special shout outs to all the other ones I forgot and struggle everyday trying to make it either in music or in real life!!!2009 we are on the rise !!!


Photobucket

CLICK IMAGE TO GO TO LAIDBACK's MYSPACE PAGE

No comments: