Saturday, February 14, 2009

TAKE IT BACK series: CHRIZO MAGNIFICO

The TAKE IT BACK series, is a deeper look on how Turbulence Productions was formed back in the day. This is a 3 dimensional look on the artists and how they're circumstances landed them in what could arguably be the best independent hiphop label in the Philippines ever.




FrancisM feat. Loonie - The Light (2009 Remix) (Produced by Chrizo)

I met Chrizo thru our common friend Joel Ibe. I took Joel to the Rekognize album launch, and he had already told me he's classmates with the brother of one of the rappers of SVC. Joel told me, he wanted to ride with us on the way to the gig. The event was slated to start at 9PM at the Music Museum. I was so anxious and was living in the south of Manila so we decided to have a 730PM call time, to meet up at Toyota Alabang. This dude arrived around 845PM, guess who was a little too anxious that I might end up not seeing the show. Chrizo jumps in my '97 Corolla, we head to Greenhills and well and behold, the show hasn't started yet. This Chrizo dude is a vet, although it didn't seem like it at first. I forgot his brother is ILL-J, which should explain why this dude got late, meaning he's usedta being with the artists and he knows how late they get so he took his time with me too. This was a time where I was just really starting out with making beats. ILL-J even got me and Joel in for free, so that ticket that Hotnixx gave me for the show didn't really do me any good. Hehehe.

Next time I saw this dude, I actually gave him a cd of our first ever recording. And although right now we can admit that that song sucked, he wouldn't say so then. I would hear his name get tossed around when I was with Lee and Lowkey. Dcoy would sort of tease Lowkey about Chrizo's beat sounding like Premier's. Then came Chrizo's 19th birthday in which I was invited to go. Hehehe I stayed late up in that party just to see SVC and have 'em sign my CDs.

I would then visit Chrizo's workstation and man, once he plays me his beats on Acid 2, I would feel bad and would often kick myself back to my studio. I really admired his work ethic and the way he hears a sample. Saw him with PHD and Traumatik at Urge Bar, and they performed Blazin' Mics which turned up the energy in the bar as Chrizo's beat engaged everyone into some authentic boom bap shit. Preemo would be proud.




A.M.P. - Moonlightin' (Produced by Chrizo)

If not for our proximity to each other I wouldn't have pushed myself this hard. I would always try and go up against Chrizo's beats even my head. My entire team then, including PHD and Traumatik was buggin me to bring Chrizo into the team. I couldn't just make that happen, since my loyalty for ILL-J wouldn't let me. It took us a good year to have ILL-J's blessing to hook up with his younger brother. The officiality of it didn't matter to me, as we were all already friends -- but it came from Chrizo himself that he wanted to be part of my then budding team. Only diamonds cut diamonds, I'm famous for saying so. And Chrizo has help shape the diamond that I am, we are. Chrizo is such a student of the game, and I know for a fact that he is a gem around Asia. No one can create the sound that he does. He is a motherfucking national treasure. Word is bond.




Ill-J - One Divine/Once Again Music Video (Produced by Chrizo)

Look at what this boy has accomplished. Since giving beats to Aikee for his debut album, he did ILL-J's The Journey and Logic for Reason, BSides, G.R.A.E., Tippin' The Scales, 3Kings, 2Tay's album, AMP, tracks with Mike Swift, Luzon, Forensic Science, Abby Assistio, Mister RP, Hasan Salam; and being the host and face of the world renowned The Community show. Just look at 2008, with the music climate so stale, he is one of the few OPM artists, signed or unsigned to have 2 singles played on radio via "If You Were My Baby Girl" and "Feel Good" -- he also released "Thinking Man's Hiphop" which ended the year with a bang for the local scene, he is a spokesperson for Specks Clothing and To The Billboard -- his discography of classics have given you videos such as "You Don't Know/MC" from G.R.A.E; "First Wifey:, "One Divine"and he ain't even done yet. And if you don't know, he also's part of the team responsible for ETC's station ID last year! He is responsible for "First Wifey" being song of the year, Turbulence winning indie artist of the year in 2006 and 2008. Some people might feel these are small feats, and you are entitled to that, but remember he did all this with nothing but passion. No managers, no politicks, sheer skills and team play.


I was lucky to be around Chrizo and see his growth as a person. His beats is one thing, but seeing him develop as a man is another. This dude came from being so quiet to pitching his ideas whenever he feels like it. He deserves it, this dude has more class than some vets in the game. Really. But still, he is a student of the game and even production, he is a humble dude that big ups everyone in whatever they do, small or big. Me and him, go way back man --

Chrizo is Philippine hiphop. Ask around. RESPECT. Turbulence X Space Monkey X SVC X Locked Down.


"Chrizo magnifico in the lab we just chillin'" - this is a quote from a song in Thinking Mans Hiphop made my Diggity Dash.

No comments: