Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FEVER@ero DAY 24 "SOULFIESTA INTERVIEWS AERO"

3rd WORLD







Aero - In My City (VIDEO LAUNCH ON FEB 26 PIPELINE BACOLOD)




The small dance between Aero and Turbulence ended up with Turbulence signing him up after 3 years of boogie. I remember getting interviewed by SoulSonic TV one time and was asked who I said a do emcee was, and without hesitation Aero was the answer I gave them and its only fitting that I put my money where my mouth is. There are only a few other cats that catch my attention -- but today and this whole month I give it back to a dude who never faded away and kept pushing regardless of what Turbulence as a whole is up to. Read through as we keep things relevant in Soulfiesta, catch Aero's point of view on things like the Philippine Hiphop Awards, Kanye West, girls not giving head, classic albums and showing you what it means to be a Bacolod MC in the thriving Manila bred scene.

SOULFIESTA: My dude, tell us, what is it like being an emcee in Bacolod? Whats the difference between the Manila scene and the Bacolod scene? What is Manila missing out in terms of what you experience back home?

Being an emcee in Bacolod City is dope! I can truly say I'm a pioneer as a fact with a braggadocio manner. When we started 3rd World, we set the standards for the small Hip-Hop scene that existed. It has grown rapidly over the years since 2004. Of course, I get more love out here. I'm just a hungry emcee in Manilla going for my piece of the pie. The love is genuine in The City Of Smiles. It's none of that smile-in-your-face-stab-you-in-the-back wack shit.

You had a stint being on a regional radio broadcast station? What music where you playing? And at that time what OPM song where you pushing to get airplay?

Yeah, I was a radio personality for a few years at NBC Jamie@102.3 FM while I was going to the University Of St. La Salle. Aero. was my name. Hahaha! I did that on purpose because further down the line I already knew I was going to plug myself through shameless promotion. I worked part-time as I was getting my Business Management degree. Basically, I started doing radio because I was offered a Hip-Hop/R&B show called Choklit Soul every Thursday nights with my mentor Reese Gayle. She taught me the ropes on how to handle the things in the booth. Good times. As I became a regular DJ, I was given six days out of the week and I played the current Top 30 hits. From Choklit Soul, I created my own pure Hip-Hop show called PhatSat every Saturday afternoons. Well, from CD samplers that we had I played Francis M, MastaPlann, Sun Valley Crew, Seven Shots, Krook N Jolo, South Border and a couple of others.

I heard you cook alot, and drink alot -- what 5 dishes do you like best along with your brew?

True and true. This is easy. Chicken Inasal (Nena's Beth at Manokan Country). Grilled Squid. Kinilaw Na Tanigue. SPAM Kelaguen (Guam recipe). Spicy Buffalo Wings. Man, I love Chicken-N-Beer! Word to Ludacris!

Whats the story about you making it part of 6000 Goonz, how'd you hook up with em and 5 Songs Only not being released yet? Are we ever going to see it available for release?

Before I flew out to Manilla for The Community 2 in 2007, I hollered at a couple of producers and I only received two replies. One was from you (B-ROC) and the other one was from DiCE. I even remember DiCE leaving a comment on MySpace saying, "Great emcee from the South!" Anyway, I went to DiCE's MobbStarr Crib Studio a day after I payed a visit to your SoulFiesta Studio. I was with Hitmann who was working for IndiePlug at the time and he documented my first encounter with MobbStarr, Gloc-9 and Jay Flava. I kicked a freestyle for DiCE and he liked it. And because you told me Turbulence Productions had a closed roster, I just wanted to be affiliated with a group that made good musick. 6000 GOONZ welcomed me to their family and during Fete De La Musique 2007, Jay Flava made it public during our set. The FiveSongsOnly EP was done in a span of three days and, unfortunately, will not be released anymore. Instead, a full length album is in the works. You're probably going to get 13 songs from it.

What 3 things should people prioritize in doing when they hit up Bacolod?

First, try to catch one of our annual festivals. Masskara Festival is in October. Panaad Sa Negros Festival is in April. Second, eat at Nena's Beth in Manokan Country. Get the Pecho-Pak and top your Steamed Rice with Toasted Garlic and Chicken Oil. Don't forget to dip your chicken in the Sinamak! Third, bring home your loved ones a piece of Bacolod City with pasalubong treats from Bong-Bong's like Piaya or Barquillos.


You were part of The Community 2 celebration that was held in The Basement in Eastwood, how was that experience? And what about The Community shows do you think the scene now is missing?

Oh, The Community 2 was sick! I got a chance to perform in front of an entirely brand new audience and I loved it! Being a fan that I am, I was taking pictures with cats that I just seen on MySpace. I met with the best of them and I'm still cool with everybody up to this day. That was the same Community when Francis M quietly crept in and did his thing with Loonie. If I wasn't so drunk, I could have snapped a shot with him too! Instead, I was outside freestyling with some heads and I totally missed out on the opportunity. Regrets. What The Community will always be missing is The King Of Rap doing classic performances like that.


Aero rocking at The Community 2, with of course, a brew in hand



You recently joined the MTV Jeepney Music artist search, with all the hoopla about it -- whats your personal take on where it could've have adjusted and improved? With the sour taste left on artists palettes that the show gave, what kind of effect do you think it has for established artist and aspiring ones?

MTV EMERGE WAS STRAIGHT UP FUCKING WACK!!! I mean, if I would've known that it was going to be based on online voting then I should have just asked my brother to hook me up with a vote bot. I was thinking about it too. He was just one "yes" away from installing it but, as an artist, I have pride and dignity and it ain't fair for the others who are competing fairly. Yo, I remember having the same amount of votes as one of the winners and by the next day, they were up by around 300. You literally would have to be voting every five minutes and I got better things to do rather than to sit in front of a computer and vote for myself. Come on, yo. I also actually believed he was going to run through some of the songs and find substance. Some of the winners do have talent though. Apl.De.Ap and Jeepney Music need to open up their ears a little more and find the right ones to ride with him in the Philippines. With all the money he's making with the Black Eyed Peas (especially with their new pop sound), it's chump change for him to invest in the talent we have in the motherland.


Which B-Roc produced or assisted song did you wish were given to you to rock a remix to?

I got two off the top of my head right now. Tilt Your Cap (To The Billboard) with Nimbus9 and God's Will. Booked Me A Flight with you. It's life in between aero.ports mang! Holler!!!


Whats your take on Kanye West's lyrical skills amidst his more commercial chess play?

Kanye West is nice with his. From The College Dropout to 808s & Heartbreak, I've been tuned in to his rhymes. When I listen to some of his wordplay, I'm like, "Yo, why didn't I think of that?" Hahaha! That's the genius behind it. I have never heard a wack verse from Kanye at all on songs that were either underground or commercial. I think his slang adds flavor to his bars as well.






NEW KANYE WEST VIDEO "COLDEST WINTER"




If there is another artist from Bacolod that we should all be in tune to who would it be?

Sugartown Dancehall Packers is the hottest Reggae band in the city right now. You need to catch a live show to see what I'm talking about. Their Matisyahu cover songs are sick!


How many bottles of Red Horse does it take to really get your drunk?

Hahaha! I feel good off of 3 Litros or 6 500s or 9 Stallions. Cheers!






Lon feat. Aero - The Riddle


I've seen you rock shows, book your own flights, get flown out – get around both Manila & BCD, hang around the trenches -- and yet you have shown great respect and maintain the fan in you. What keeps you grounded? What have you learned throughout your years as an independent hiphop artist mingling around with different camps?

Thanks mang. Before I started rapping, I was a fan and that will never ever fade away. I appreciate good musick that's all. But besides Gloc-9 and maybe Andrew E., everybody in the Philippine Hip-Hop industry is struggling. We all know that. Don't front. Shit, my merchandise like T-Shirts and CDs make more money than shows that pay. Our own individual hustle will only pull in a small percentage of what they make off what we all love to do. I've been rhyming since 1993 but I only took Hip-Hop serious in 2006 when I dropped the aero. EP. It's almost four years in the Pinoy rap game and I'm happy with what I have achieved so far. 2000WIN!!!

Drake or J. Cole? Whats the most notable song you listen to from both?

This is tough because these are the two new school cats that I listen to a lot. So, I got to say I like both of them. Drake and J. Cole haven't even released albums but their names are bigger than most who already got a couple out! It's coconuts! Drake got mad songs that I like but Comeback Season is what comes to mind right now. J. Cole got mad songs that I like but Welcome is what comes to mind right now. Peep Drake's Comeback Season mixtape and J. Cole's The Warm Up mixtape.

Out of all the songs you've done, why did you choose to make a video for In My City? Who directed it, whats the concept behind it and when are we seeing it?

In My City is the song that gave me my place in Philippine Hip-Hop. It represents me and where I'm from very well. It was a mixtape joint that I did over Scarface's On My Block which can be found on The City Of Smiles Slinger Mixtape. It took me less than 30 minutes to write and record because naturally I already knew what to say. It's a type of track that an everyday Bacolodnon would be proud of. It's also a type of track that a foreigner would hear and be able to visualize what it's like in Bacolod City without even stepping a foot in it. Yo, I'm also excited about BoJam's Joe Bum Remix! I can't wait! Hahaha! I did a mall show in Robinson's Place Bacolod for SikatTV in exchange for the video. The local channel IslandLiving is responsible for the shoot and I thank them greatly for the opportunity. Ryan Saez and Jayson Gupo directed the musick video. Also, shout outs to Michael Lee and Fritz Delos Santos for their assistance. The video further depicts the already vivid lyrics and it's not even close to any of that flashy shit. Hell, I'd be faking the funk if I went as far as that! But I'll be officially launching the video on February 26th at Pipeline Bacolod. It's free for all so if you're in Bacolod City or you know someone who is spread the word and be part of something special. SoulFiesta viewers will get to see it on February 27th so keep coming back to check for it! I just don't want to spoil it for my people who actually come through and show me some love that night. 70,000 hits here we come!






Aero - Hiphop Is Alive



What was it like hearing your song on the radio in Manila? And for Manila heads to eventually give you props? Any experience you can share?

I came to Manilla off of mixtape money. The shirts weren't popping off as much yet. From The Bacolod City Bandit Mixtape and The City Of Smiles Slinger Mixtape I was able to make P60,000. That's hand-to-hand hustle. My Bacolod City boys who are Manilla-based held me down. They went with me everywhere from recording studios to radio stations. The crew and I went into almost every station there is in Manilla but I remember going into Wave 891 and meeting Garry Caoili, the station manager. Immediately, he asked why we were there. I told him I flew in from Bacolod and I'd like to push my musick in Metro Manilla. He was cool and calm and I was nervous and a bit paranoid off the blunt we just had. He invited us into his office and asked for a CD and which track to play. I said to play Track 13 which was In My City. Garry listened to the whole track and asked if that was really me. Hahaha! After, he asked me if it was okay to rip the song. I said sure. The next thing that happened will forever remain with me and my rap career. He handed me a piece of paper and I was like, "What's this for?" He said that those slips are given to artists whose songs will go on air at Wave. Me and the boys couldn't believe what he said. Imagine walking into a radio station with no connection and no appointment and getting your song added to their playlist instantly! When we got out of the Strata 2000 building and hopped back in the ride, minutes later, In My City was playing and the rest is history. Thanks Wave891 and Garry Caoili!


How do you deal with a broad that doesn't give head?

TAKE HEAD!

If you were to be part of one classic album in the 90's, which one would you want to have rocked a verse on? and which song?

Globally, I would have to choose between Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) on Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Fuck Wit or Souls Of Mischief's '93 'Til Infinity on '93 'Til Infinity. Locally, it's either MastaPlann's MastaPlann on Is It Tyme or Sun Valley Crew's Sun Valley Crew on Da Place Where We Dwellz. These four Hip-Hop acts are all influences of mine.


Whats the oddest song you've sang in the showers?

I don't sing son!

Stop fooling yourself son, I've heard you sing a couple of tunes drunk. This month, we celebrate the 2nd year anniversary of Tippin' The Scales - Low Key told us his favorite track on that CD is your song - whats your favorite track on that CD and how was it being part of that release?

Word! Thanks Low Key! Yo, let me get on one of your beats! Damn, it's been two years since we launched Tippin' The Scales! Happy Anniversary to everyone who put in work on that project! Let me feel my own shit and stick my hand in the toilet. Hahaha! I like Watch Watchu Say because it was a song that I aimed at wack rappers who are given the the time to shine with nonsense rhymes. Hearing their tracks on heavy rotation from radio to television is just sickening to me. Besides that, it would have to be the Nimbus9 and God's Will joint, Tilt Your Cap. Do I hear a remix coming soon???


Do you think The Philippine Hiphop Awards represent the regional acts respectfully?

I've never been to The Philippine Hip-Hop Awards. Two years ago, I heard I was supposed to be a nominee for at least two categories and when I checked their website I wasn't even acknowledged. It's all good though. We all know that titles are temporary but musick is made to last forever. So, I let it speak for itself. As long as I know my musick is out there getting played, it's a reward that's better than an award to me. I know a lot of dope emcees/rappers in the Visayas and Mindanao that will probably never get their recognition. As a matter of fact, Luzon has a lot of unheard talent too. If you're not in Manilla, you will never even be considered. Maybe The Metro Manilla Hip-Hop Awards would be a more suitable name for it. So no, The Philippine Hip-Hop Awards do not represent the regional acts respectfully. Give me an award and I might change my mind!





3rd World - On The Rise

Are we ever gonna see you battle again? Maybe through the new battle circuit show going on around the metro every month?

I've had my share of battles and contests and what not. Right about now, I'm really focusing on trying to make hits. FlipTop Battle League invited me to join their first event but because I was not in Manilla, I wasn't able to attend. And I'm not saying I quit battling but it doesn't excite me as much anymore. A win or a loss wouldn't affect me in anyway at this stage. Put up some cash and who knows? Hahaha!

Thanks for the interview man, I know you gon be killing the studio when you touch down in Manila soon, you have the AMP verses to finish, a couple of beats to scout around the metro, a photoshoot for the Gold Barz cover then we start working on the putting together the foundation for your debut album. Also, I wanna tell the readers we are extending FEVER@ero into March cause yeah I had some work to attend to and missed out on a couple of days so yeah up the ante bro!

Thanks to B-Roc and SoulFiesta for the FVR@ERO. feature for the whole month of February! Yo, B we were missing a lot of daze and your readers didn't feel the illness as much as I wanted them too. Let's make it up in March! Aeron Nicolas I love you! QT thanks for being there for me! Mom, Dad, Edwin & Jan I'll be here for you! Lola get well soon! Bacolod City we 3rd WorldWIDE! Turbulence Productions and 6000 GOONZ let's keep killing the game! A.M.P. hold it down like GOLD BARZ! Mr. A & Mr. E are MILITARY BRATS! The Straight A Students is about to take them to SCHOOL! Any producers want to help a homey out??? ILLMIND what up! Any emcees want to help a homey out??? Geologic what up! Look out for my album A.E.R.O. coming soon! That's the Album Emcees/Rappers Own, bitches! Ride with me!


P.S. On February 26, 2010, join me as I launch the In My City musick video and the Manokan Country & Masskara Festival Flavored CD at Pipeline Bacolod! 9 PM! Free entrance! Support your local musick!

P.S.S. Get your @.WAER (pronounced as AWARE) T-Shirt now! BE @.WAER!!!



aero. (aeroWithADot)

+639196716478
aerowithadot@gmail.com

http://www.aerowithadot.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/albert.temporosa.penafuerte
http://www.twitter.com/aerowithadot
http://www.myspace.com/ aerowithadot
http://www.friendster.com/aerowithadot3w

No comments: