Thursday, April 23, 2009

TAKE IT BACK series: SEMENTO AT BUHANGIN

Photobucket



Nimbusnine and God's Will on a track, everytime I see them do a track its always something crazy. We did this song SEMENTO AT BUHANGIN around May of 2006, in the midst of The Community's first year. The theme of The Community was WE BUILDING. That statement, 'til this very day carries on so much for the pioneering participants of that show. I remember, I had Nimbus and GDub in the studio and we were finishing up Philippine Phenom. We decided to do a track with them together, this sample is from an old FPJ film -- can't tell which. I laced the beat in ten minutes and they just went crazy on they verses.

After lacing down the verses, we were thinking of the hook. The idea was sand castles, and how kingdoms start really from another kingdom ruined. This was really just bridging the old with new. Me and Nimbus penned the hook, I always was inspired by Pamilia Dimagiba's classic "Pira-Piraso" -- I loved the hook they made so much, that it was my inspiration for this song. I wanted the hook to be confusing as hell, but made enough point to throw you off your seat. This song is a classic for me, moved alot of people -- I would always get complimented on how this song builds inspiration in them; even from non hiphop listeners. The time we were doing the song, we were so into Gawad Kalinga, and what better way to display community building than to invoke the ideals of "Semento at Buhangin"; literally and figuratively. Here's the hook and the song, hope you like it.

"Semento at buhangin, buhangin at semento
and pangarap mong buhangin bubuhayin ng konkreto;
ang semento ay buhangin, ang buhangin ay semento
ang pangarap mong konkreto ay buhangin na palasyo."



NOTE: This track appears on Nimbusnine's Philippine Phenom, still available at Our Fathers Coffee at Robinsons Galleria or you can order at out Turbulence Hotline +639273448717. Picture was taken by Sarah Gonzales.

No comments: