Friday, April 3, 2009

WHAT DO MC's INVEST ON? WHAT SHOULD MC's INVEST ON? (Part 1 of 2)


I stumbled into this subject before I finished taking a shower today, what should mc's invest on? I know for a fact that a producer or DJ invests on their equipments, records, toys -- which ultimately is for the enhancement of his craft. Same goes for Graffiti artists, more paint, more tagging which leads to self improvement. Anything around urban culture, if you are indeed playing a role in developing the scene wherever you are, you invest on something. SOME.. THING... yes, I do mean tangible. So tell me, what do MC's invest on?

I am a fan of improving oneself, and this goes without telling you guys, buying new things to read, to hear is not exactly directly investing to improve ones craft, but ones self. That goes for everyone, so you telling me that MC's should buy more books, yes tangible -- but it also drives a point, WE ALL SHOULD DO MORE READING anyways. Buy new CD's? This is merely scouting the competition and testing your relevance in a market so big, you gotta know how to stay ahead.

Nimbusnine invested on a digital hand held recorder, so that when he's driving and starts zoning out on his rhymes by himself, he can then save a clever line and maybe use it later. You see the art of emceeing is intrinsic. And some emcees get to a point where they are so good at what they do, they don't even need think about it. Any ideas? Maybe invest on your own wireless mics? So you can't fucking complain all the time about the sound engineer fucking up your mic on your performance. I know beatboxers invest on their own mics as well. How about a wireless monitor earpiece? Hmmm, I'd like to know your thoughts, what do think MC's should invest in?

No comments: