Friday, July 3, 2009

Beyond Beyond: ENTRY 23 "SG HIPHOP Welcomes B-ROC"

Last night, at 9:00PM, outside the world famous Esplanade stage, Singapore gave me it's sweetest welcome so far. It was 65 & Hope's outdoor hiphop event celebrating independent hiphop in SG. Before I made my way to the show stage to watch, I took a turn to go to the comfort room. On my way there, a dude dressed in olive green jacket and pants, with white Supra's reached his hand out to me and said "Hey, you're that filipino hiphop dude, right?" I obligingly said "Yes, my name's B-Roc". Small talk went on and ended with "I'll catch you guys in a bit."

On my way to the stage, I stopped and looked. The backdrop of the stage is the world famous Singapore River, across you will see the well lit Fullerton Hotel and the gigantic Merlion Scultpure. A good 500 multi cultured people, were there to watch, not too mention the regular by standers of Esplanade's bar filled walk way. Before I reached the stage I heard these lines "Hiphop sucks, hiphop sucks!" -- I was caught off guard.

Kwizyne was performing the Chrizo produced track "Hiphop Sucks" off the Back 2 The New School release. He then cuts the music and talks about his heritage as a performing filipino hiphop artist. I walk towards a seat near the stage, and listen in as Kwizyne mentions my name, telling people about my beats and that how bumping into me meant alot to him to keep his music rooted. He then burns the stage with a rendition of TILT YOUR CAP -- it is always a trip seeing artists perform and make you feel as though you've helped boost they capabilities in one way or another. After that, he looks into the crowd and says "B-Roc, if you're out there, I know that last one must've surprised you."

It did, this dude was saying "Taking it To The Billboard, its built to last, fingertips on my hat homey TILT YOUR CAP" -- I thought, wow, I must've really gone far now. Making beats takes you places? Makes people remember you? I know I make dope songs, but all this, feels unreal at times (I remember Aero telling me at one point, cause you big man, you are, and I would always shrug it off). I know all my verses from "Throwback" to "Walk The Talk", I seem to be full of myself all the time, but by god, me and my team put in work. And somewhere around Asia too, my guest Mark Villegas is being treated to Philippines Hiphop scene by my peers.

I told every one before I left, whatever kindness or wisdom I've shared and imparted to them, pay it forward. Trust me, it all will pan out for you if you do.

I am Beyond, Beyond.

PEACE!

NOTES: Tonight, I am playing keyboards as a sessionist for a weekly blues band practice in a studio in Tanglin Community Center. Wish me luck, I don't know my scales anymore. MUSIC BECOMES HER. I miss all of you guys in Manila. Beyond, beyond Entry number 23 -- dedicated to Michael Jordan, who showed me what it meant to excel and how to crack the pressure.

No comments: