Thursday, January 22, 2009

TAKE IT BACK series: NIXX ESKILADO

The TAKE IT BACK series, is a deeper look on how Turbulence Productions was formed back in the day. This is a 3 dimensional look on the artists and how they're circumstances landed them in what could arguably be the best independent hiphop label in the Philippines ever.





HOTNIXX a.k.a slow down bro you killin' em

"Say Makapangyarihan!" I met Hotnixx in college, we were both students in San Beda Alabang back in the day. He is older than I am. I remember going to hiphop gigs before and would see him and it would just amaze me and I tell myself "Hiphop is closer to me than I think, I actually have seen someone from school already in the gates around Madd Poets, BBClan, Chinese Mafia.." He was one of the dudes who indirectly pushed me into this whole thing. I would see him walk the hallways and we would have our stare downs everyonce in a while, cause we were the only people in the whole campus widely recognized for that hiphop swag. And us being from differed batches definitley sparked curiousity. Until the inevitable happened. Our common friend introduced us, and Nixx actually gave me a pair of tickets to see the Rekognize Album Launch in Music Museum. The show was off the hook, and this Nixx dude was hanging around people who were part of the show. This would then start a hiphop friendship between Me, Nixx and The Seedz.

I was trying to soak as much as I could from being around Nixx back in the day. He would bring me to recording sessions and introduce me to cats. We would hit up gigs around Manila, he would go about his business rapping and macking on girls while I survey the scene and politick my way to backstages and all. There was a time that The Seedz weren't as active in the scene before that people actually thought me and Nixx where either trying to be a new group or I was part of The Seedz. The Seedz are my peoples though! Forever loyal to Willie and Lyndon! I'm blessed to have actually been around them. Being with Nixx allowed me access to gigs by people in Madd World in their hey day! I was absorbing everything I could from Lowkey and Quaizy as far as beat production. One of the first beat cds I made, I actually auditioned to him. They were knocking but it was off timing. Hehehe, I had to learn everything myself.

Hotnixx - Who Told You (Produced by B-Roc)

Nixx was the first one to freestyle to my beats back in my car when we would catch each other either headed home or cutting a class. It was also inevitable then that my group, CRECON (which will be revealed through another TAKE IT BACK series) did songs with Nixx. "Gatekeepers" was recorded at a shitty studio in BF the day after Lyndon got stabbed. And we have another song with Nixx produced by Quaizy, which he swears got lost in the famous Marikina studio where most of Madd World's projects were being made.

For people who don't know, the friendship we built with Hotnixx actually lead us to finding Marquiss. Hotnixx introduced Marquiss to us at one of his birthday parties. More than that man, Nixx can rhyme his ass off. Don't get it twisted, I only hang out with people who share the same passion as I do. Hotnixx got a thick hiphop resume. What I really admire about him as I look back, it's his relevance. He has managed to stay afloat all these years and still make a buzz for himself. If you guys must know I only bought the FUNG ZOI album cause he's part of it. And you know how nowadays rappers bite off styles of other rappers. Nixx's has always been original, his flow can't be or hasn't been bitten. Check out Nixx's verse on "UTANG" from the IPK album with DCOY. I heard before Nixx being billed as DCOY times three by other people. I don't know why Madd World gave up on him and his group, or it could've been amicable separation but nonetheless, Nixx was already bringing it before Turbulence was in the picture. Nixx comes from one of the brightest years hiphop in the Philippines has seen. He has done mall tours, school tours, Music Museum, ASAP, PBA Half Time performance, PULP features, URBAN MYX features, MYX's HALO HALO, the Millenium Show in AYALA, shows out of town, opened for DJ QBERT, and recently just shared the stage with international cats The DEY.


Nixx is from that era when you record loops on your stereo just to be able to have a beat to freestyle to. Nixx has been to spots these new cats will never know, and he has been there even before Anthill Mobb blew up and became Mobbstarr. Nixx rocked Pure Playaz gear and football jerseys which is unheard of nowadays. Sheer skills, kept this dude relevant in the scene. Nixx had rode shotgun with me on the driver seat for the entirety of my career as a producer/label manager. He has seen me change from that dude who seats around and absorbs things transition to the boss I am today.

RESPECT

Whats your favorite Hotnixx song? Mine's gotta be, Pagiyak ng Langit produced by Black which will be out in his album!

TEAM STRONG 2009!

Check this series again as I journey through memory lane. Thank you for reading!

Feedbacks and suggestions? Anything you guys want me to discuss or write about? Feel free to message me on YM: KINGBROC of email me at beeroccc@gmail.com

2 comments:

The Vanisher said...

syempre "Makapangyarihan" pa din favorite ko.. ahehehehe-phillie reppin lpc

Audrey said...

im lost hahah the only name i recognize in this post is hotnixx and marquiss lol

cash.