Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DAY 16 NIMBUS9 feat. Savannah "TOO LATE"

BSIDES



Nimbusnine feat. Savannah Lumen - Too Late (Produced by B-Roc)

This song appeared on the B-Sides album, in 2005 and started my production credits in the R&B scene. I remember Gino excitedly wanting to let me hear of this woman's voice. And I wasn't quite prepared for a woman in the studio since my beats were all souled out. Decided to flip this Tyrone Davis sample, which I thought was really sexy. I think, if wasn't mistaken, I wanted to give this beat to someone else when I made it. It had that sexy Kanye beat feel to it which was hot at that time and I was thinking someone rhyming over it more than singing. Savannah and Nimbus wrote this on the spot and I remember we finished this session in two separate days as we had to find the right rhythm for both artists, as I didn't wanna make a track out of sheer excitement alone.

I remember this song almost didn't make the B-Sides album and I fought everybody tooth and nail for this one as it showcases the labels depth production wise and that we transcend the borders hiphop was stuck on at the time. I also wanted to make a video of this with the concept of the girl leaving for the airport and Nimbus is the Limosine driver. A couple of months later, Chrizo and Nimbus went back in the studio to remix this song. Will post that one up in a few days.


NOTES: Savannah Lumen is the daughter of Francis Lumen, owner of MTV Philippines. She had cut an album earlier, even before we met. She is a jazz souled out singer and has been playing at jazz gigs around the metro when she's not somewhere around he world. Also, she appeared on the cover of UNO Magazine 2 years back if I'm not mistaken.

No comments: