Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DAY 17 N9 x GW x "TILT YOUR CAP" (DOMINASAU ABSOLUTA)




Nimbusnine feat. God's Will - Tilt Your Cap (Dominasau Absoluta REMIX)
(Produced by B-Roc)


This version of TILT YOUR CAP appears on a mixtape done by a good friend of mine, Nyko Maca. Off the strength of Tilt Your Cap, Nimbus comes in my studio to re-do his verse as he was invited my Nyko to put a track on an upcoming project. The first verse is the new verse we added to fit that project. Shoutouts to Nyko Maca!

I was so moved by Los Indios Bravoz's brand of music that it sparked a revolution in my beats. Balik Sa Bayan was one of the first beats I made experimenting on a new sound I was calling Jeepney Crunk at that time. It's basically 808's and old rondalla music. LIB was already doing this heavy and I just wanted to add my own flavor to it. I remember making the beat for Tilt Your Cap and just bugging out dancing in the studio by myself and bobbing my head to it, acting a fool basically.

I've been asking Nimbus to rock this beat for a minute before we actually did something with it. Mike asked us to make a To The Billboard song and so I had Gdub and Nimbus in the studio to do it on this beat. We were having a hard time making a hook for it, so I had to pitch in a couple of lines. It was me, Nimbus & Gdub standing in the studio vibing to the hook part and creating lines. Suddenly I remembered Gino's line from years back.

When Dirt Off Your Shoulder came out, me and Nimbus loved it so much we wanted to do our own version. You know how Pharell would dance and dust his shoulders - Jay-z put that gesture into words and came of with "dirt off your shoulder"; I challenged Nimbus to do the same, find something people do that hasn't been named so we could brand it orginally ours. He came up with "tilt your cap" which is what heads do with they New Era hats as form of acknowledgement and just to carry out they style.

Tilt Your Cap is an amazing song and I wish it would've been recognized as the song of the year the way people loved and embraced it. We had Jae Spillz from Canada doing a remix of it and a couple of other cats from NYC. The original version of this song appeared on our Tippin' The Scales album, early 2008. Enjoy this rare Nimbus verse.



NOTES: Picture taken from the cover of Burn Magazine NOV DEC 2007 issue. This issue also features Sinag in its pages. Did you know Brandon Vera walked into The Octagon against Frank Mhir using a B-Roc beat with Mike Swift & Quest on it? He eventually won that one and lost 2 in a row, maybe its cause he didn't use our song as his entrance theme music. I heard he is fighting Couture soon, should be a good match!

No comments: