Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DAY 23 NIMBUSNINE x COSMIC LOVE "ISLAND LOVIN"




Nimbusnine feat. Cosmic Love - Island Lovin' (Produced by KC Cassanova)

This was one of the classics, specially making it. Nimbus brought the entire band to my studio -- I'm saying 7 people deep at least. Drinking brew, smoking it up and just feeding off each others energy. Nimbus had a concept locked down already and as I was plugging the instruments into my studio mixer, KC Cassanova and Nimbus were already way ahead of us. Nimbus was singing the hook -- and KC was on his guitar strumming away.

Nimbus came up with 12 bars and I said it wasn't enough so I made him write extra to make it a solid sixteen. I remember coaching him with the line "but for now lets get outta the shade and head to the waves". Also, you can hear Nimbus sing the second voice of the hook. Cosmic Love is my favorite pinoy band, their soulful grooves and funk -- one of the best in Pinas. Solid group of people and they love hiphop and they understand where Turbulence as a label was coming from.

Island Lovin' was one of their first recording stints. We took two days to finalize the song on record as the brew was getting to all of us and I needed to study Anton's vocals and asked him to come again and redo it. The final day in the studio saw the adding of congos and the famous Kubing -- a ethnic filipino music instrument. Also the Slash esque ending of the guitars was classic to watch. If you can hear the keys being played, thats me playing. This was much fun to do as I was able to bounce of different creative people. After the song was heard by people, they would often mistake Anton for Artstrong -- close call but I think my ear for music and my investment in finding people still proves I can find the best of them and build with them.

I also know for a fact that the banana boat line came from Otto Retardo, shoutouts to PiSo. This shows you how much people pitched in and created the energy of the song that remains a summer time classic in the Philippines. We launched this song 3 years ago but I still don't see anyone outdoing this hit! If you know the song Tell Me Why -- well its the part two of this joint right here. Shoutouts to Bianca Araneta for the pic!


TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF, ISLAND LOVIN'
LET ME SHOW YOU, ISLAND LOVIN'

No comments: