Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 8 THREE KINGS "Salamat Sa'yo"

Photobucket



God's Will, Mike Swift, Nimbusnine feat. Quest - Salamat Sa'yo (Produced by B-Roc)


As we celebrate our holy mothers birthday today during September Madness -- we are imparting to you this masterpiece. To every hiphop head still bumping Pac's "Dear Mama", this ones for you. I made this beat at Chrizo's studio, messing around a Faith Evans song, and a Keyshia Coles acapella off of DJ Jena's collection of records. Chrizo was taking a shower and I did this beat quick and put it in my thumb drive before going through what we had to do for the day.

God's Will's part was done first. I know he hasn't done a song like this at that time so I irked him to do a verse for his mom -- as they were about to be reunited in Japan. Matt was a couple of weeks from leaving Pinas to work in Japan. Right before he left, Mike had a brilliant idea to bang out a Three Kings CD and so it was a no brainer to let them add to this song. I remember having Mike, Nimbus, Sunny, Nixx and some other guys in the studio. Everybody was amped to hear the outcome. And everybody at this time was dealing with their mom's in different shades. Mike was writing, sitting on my studio couch, Nimbus was inside the bathroom, seated at the toilet using the sink as a table. And me and the rest were just outside talking things out.

Mike recorded his verse, piece by piece and we kinda lost the sincerity of it with that take being a little too aggressive. Mike's recordings during those times were preconcieved to rock 4 bars at a take. But after that odd take, he tells me to run it from the top again and nails it in one take -- capturing the honest emotion of his verse.

Nimbus then rips the songs last verse, and if I remember it right soon as he did, he had to bounce not being able to hear the song completed. Nimbus shared a love hate relationship with his mom then, as every mom remains protective of their child. Regardless of what path we take, our moms are left restless when they feel helpless on how to pitch in for a hiphop career, lets say. Leaving arguements and rebellious feelings to prove ourselves. I then, called Quest to lay down the hook -- he was only free 10 PM onwards, so when everyone was done he came by. Vibed to the beat, and just uttered the first few lines of a classic Martin Nievera record "Ikaw Ang Lahat Sa Akin" and he hum another line. It struck me, and stopped him and told him thats what we should do. I penned him the lyrics to the original song and just put in "salamat sa'yo" towards the end.

I used to play "Ikaw Ang Lahat Sa Akin" on the piano so I have an affinity towards this song, and it was pieced together perfect. Quest's adlib in the end is icing on the cake. I remember playing this song and choking myself up to almost crying. The people who heard this song as well in the studio also felt the same way of it. I've never heard a song as sincere as this since "Dear Mama". My sister who then had baby Kali, wanted this song the next day on her phone just for hearing us do it. That shows you how special this is.

To any one who's into this hiphop grind, music path, warrior of the light road, I would want you to reflect on a thought that passes each and everyone's mothers while you're out there:


"It glides from her eyes to her sweet lemon lips/
as she weeps at night, feeling the deep rebel's kiss/
di makatulog ng maayos cause she's worried/
her brain is always thinking in a hurry/
always wondering if her boy is safe and sound/
praying that he was playing in safer ground/
and even if the world around got blury/
the love she had for him cannot be taken down/"


FIN

1 comment:

charmjade said...

sakto yung Ikaw ang lahat sa akin.. galing niyong lahaat. :D
naka abang na ko sa mixtaape.. :) Mike Swift at ang dalawa ko pang paborito.. God's Will and Nimbus 9. :D