Tuesday, September 8, 2009

MUSIC IS LIFE: NIMBUSNINE X 09-09-09 (PART ONE)

Photobucket



Nimbusnine - 9th Wonder (Produced by 9th Wonder)


It's exactly 09:09 AM on my watch this 9th of September 2009 posting this interview up with one of my closests friends in the game. More than 2 years ago, Nimbus shared with me that he had wanted to debut his debut album "Illustrado" today. With everything in this world accounted for, we however didn't beat our deadline. And yet we still share our affinity for this date. Nine is a number of completion, as is 9 months of pregnancy -- I remember Nimbus busting a line "Caliph8 plus Ace One equals Nimbusnine" from a battle way way way back. I am doing this interview on a 2 part basis and sharing with you a new Nimbus, a new start, as today more than ever we have reached full circle and will be giving you more than what we've stood for the past few years. Atin ang mundo.


Whats been Nimbusnine up to since the release of Philippine Phenom?

It’s been just about 3 years since the conception of that mixtape/project, and ever since the release of my first baby, The Philippine Phenom, I’ve basically been connecting and collaborating with various producers and artists of all sorts who are either starting out with their craft or are already experts in their field.

Along the way, the name NIMBUS NINE has been associated and linked to a bunch of groups, hip-hop heads, fans, organizations, brands etc. From forming a full band set-up, initially with Chano Redil [Drums], Carlo Bernardino [Bass], Ipe Flores [Lead Guitar] and now Paul Velasco [Drums], who has currently been jamming with us during our band performances. Aside from that, just a slew of new materials and gigs as well as a whole bunch of unexpected features, to me at least, in numerous magazines, videos and online blogs.


The people have been steadily anticipating a Nimbusnine debut album, how is it coming along? What can people expect of it? Do you have a working album title? And what is the general theme of the music you've been writing nowadays, compared to the Philippine Phenom release.

A debut album is one dream that has yet to be fulfilled. The progress, however, is still in its skeletal/blueprint stages. It’s pretty much complete in my mind pero, iba na talaga kapag oras na kumpletuhin. Like, making tracks are easy, you know how it is but, when building and concocting an album that has been marinating in my head for the longest time, every thing has to be finely tuned. (ex. Finding the right type of beat for a song that’s been written since way back, or dealing with new artists and producers, to finding that perfect fit and mix; leaving no stone unturned)

As for the name of the album, you know this, B, we already had a working title since 05-06 season, which I really really wanted to use because of its intricate meaning and significance to my ideals, principles and state of mind. We even posted the title on our now inactive TURBULENCEPRODUCTIONS.net and countless Friendster Bulletin Posts but I guess, some folks decided to use it, even if everybody knows who called it first. Yeah, that kind of irked me a little bit. But no hate though, I’m just saying; “Originators can never be duplicated”. So as for the title, itatago ko na lang siya sa pangalang “Lost Ones/Once” hehe.

People have looked to you as one of the pillars of the new movement in hiphop, how do you feel about this?

“Dayng pamangken!" that’s a heavy statement, mamengs! Pero, I feel extremely honored that some people think of “NimbusNine” as a pillar. Like, you know, it’s real flattering at the same time challenging. Parang kailan lang, may na basa akong interview tungkol kay Kanye West, when he was talking about seeing kids emulating his style (sonically and fashion wise) when the dude was just starting out as a rapper (College Dropout Era). Like, I could see where he was coming from, me being a fan of certain artists to the point where I become extremely influenced by them, but dayng, I never would’ve imagined that happening to me as quickly as it did; and I don’t even consider myself that great yet. You know, having kids quote your lines, shout you out on a song or just give mad props in a show, that stuff makes it all worth it. And it definitely adds more muscle to my music. Fuel to the fire or however you see it. No matter how few or many people believe in what I and/or we do, I will represent 100 times better, to my fullest capabilities, just because I have that knowledge that someone out there feels whatever I am sharing at that moment. And I’m sure that applies to anyone who has ever had people believe in them, one way or another.

It definitely is a huge responsibility that makes me want to continue delivering the best every time and show the same amount, if not, even more, love to the people!

To whoever is reading this, I just want to share some quotes that’s helped me get through obstacles: (1) I got this quote from RZA in a Source magazine article; “Any regular fool can learn from his mistakes but a wise person learns from the mistakes of others.” & (2) “Kung gagawin mo nalang ang isang bagay, gawin mo nang tama!” (quoted from Bong Andres passed on by his father to him). On that note, no matter how cliché this may sound, keep bringing that good stuff in whatever it is you do.


Besides making music, what have you been busy with?

Well, nowadays, I’ve personally just been soakin’ myself up with learning, or at least trying to learn, different skills (Mostly technical stuffs, which I only recently got into). Aside from that, I also try to consume my time with stuff that just makes you feel good. Ika nga ni Carlo (Bassist) “pumunta ka dun kung saan ka masaya”; Sports!! Health!! Dance (heavily influenced by the AllStars)!!! Ciphers!! Parties!! Wine & Dining!! Hanging out with real close friends and Music!!! That stuff keeps a person grounded and sane yo!! As well as smarter and sharper!!

Is Team Nimbus still alive? And who are the people behind Team Nimbus?

Yes!! It is actually. Right now, the Team is composed of Otto Retardo, Sneaky Joshua Cesario, Pat, my band mates and Turbulence Crew.

Amongst all your songs in the Philippine Phenom Mixtape, which one do you hold dearest to you?

Wooo.. that’s a tough one. I mean, I truly love them all equally; each one has a certain message I wanted to portray in them. But if I had to pick for the sake of answering the question, I guess It’d be a tie between “Stars” and “Island Loving”; the reason; certain people have mentioned that they’ve either gotten “lucky” with those songs or just really got close to their significant others! Haha which is one of the best compliments ever!! Plus Kim Fabros and Anton (Cosmic Love) bring the songs to new heights!


END OF PART 1

No comments: