Thursday, September 24, 2009

DAY 24 1/2 "IF U WERE MY BABY GIRL"

BANNERVOTE




Nimbusnine feat. Marquiss & Hotnixx - If U Were My Baby Girl (Produced by Chrizo)

I remember my dear friend Chrizo texted me one night and said he had made a hit song with the guys. The guys wrote this song on the spot at a session at The Chop Shop. This was early 2007, heading in to summer. I heard this the next time I visited Chrizo and asked for his permission to make the drum beat less boom bap and more Dr. Dre for radio play. Obligingly, he gave me the files and I edited it the same night. This was the last song I put into our Tippin' The Scales release since we were clearly lacking a single we wanted to promote. This song got played in RX and WAVE throughout the summer. I especially liked Marquiss jumping on a track like this and showcasing his depth as a writer. Around this time as well, my boy Hotnixx was communcating with Joyce So -- immortalizing her with this song. Enjoy this one as we are about to close out September Madness.



NOTES: Additional notes on the Philippine Phenom cover. You see that Team Manila logo, this was 2006. When Team Manila wasn't as known as it is now. I remember walking up to them and asking for sponsorship as we would be delighted to have their brand distinguished with the Nimbusnine brand. It was a perfect marriage most especially when I found out the owners were Nimbus' neighbors in Ecoville, Makati. I would say at that point, the Team Manila brand was introduced to hiphop by Nimbus x Turbulence. Shoutouts to TEAM MANILA!

No comments: